The Cipher Careers
Director of Business Development
We live in a complex and evolving security landscape. The Cipher Brief helps you figure out how to navigate it and what it means. Our young company has quickly evolved as the go-to voice for high-level analysis and reporting on global security news. Our amazing staff, network of experts and global contributors offer unmatched perspective on national and global security issues that impact readers around the world.
We’re growing and are looking for an experienced and motivated Director of Business Development to help manage and grow long-lasting relationships with corporate sponsors who share an interest in global security.
Here’s what we can offer the right candidate:
- The typical start up dream, complete with incredible growth opportunity and rewards for innovative thinking
- A swanky Georgetown location, (with exposed brick walls, of course)
- The opportunity to share in a part of what you build
Here’s your part:
- Exceptional leadership and sales experience
- The ability to work collaboratively
- Maximize revenue opportunities and exceed monthly sales goals for TCB digital advertisement, sponsorship and events.
- Identify strategic partnerships and sponsorship opportunities
- Lead sales and product development meetings.
- Create strategic sales plans
- Target new accounts and clients for the full range of TCB products
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Knowledge of national security news issues
Your skills and experience:
- Experienced media sales executive with well-developed industry contacts
- 5-7 years of advertising sales experience with an eye toward where the market is headed, not just where it’s been
- A demonstrated ability to generate revenue-producing networks of contacts and sales leads
- A proven track record for understanding online media sales and metrics
Oh, one more thing: The Cipher Brief values its diverse team of entrepreneurs and we’re committed to providing equal opportunities and to creating an inclusive work environment. We want to hear from you.
Let’s talk. Send your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Security Correspondent
The Cipher Brief is looking for a few great correspondents who can break news and craft richly textured features on topics ranging from intelligence, diplomacy and defense, to cyber and homeland security and Capitol Hill.
Our goal is to become the go-to site for national security, building a strong news team that produces original journalism that will run alongside — but separate from — our staff analysts’ PDB-like takes on pressing security issues, and commentary from our network of experts.
Skills you need:
- Beat reporting and some investigative reporting skills, with a desire to learn more
- A source network within DOD, IC, State Department and Capitol Hill circles, with a track record of scoops
- Ability & drive to turn in 3-4 top-quality news and feature articles each week
- Familiarity with AP Style & adherence to AP News Values and Principles
- Strong work ethic, collaborative mindset and desire to excel
- Commitment to nonpartisan writing
You’ll need solid news judgment, 5-7 years’ journalism experience and a solid grasp of what makes a compelling story.
We’re a start up, which means there is enormous opportunity for growth — and the opportunity to own a piece of what you grow.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.